- First thing’s first, like we tell others so well – especially the kids: maintain a sleep routine. Showering half an hour before going to bed, brushing your teeth and dimming the lights will remind our body we’re getting ready to sleep.
- Exercised? That’s great! But not an hour before bedtime.
- Had dinner? Terrific! But don’t drink alcohol and don’t smoke. Let your body go to sleep clean.
- While preparing, turn the AC on, turn the lights off and try to create a quiet, dark and cool atmosphere.
- Turn down the volume on the TV or your music 15 minutes in advance to clue your body in.
- If you must stare at something to fall asleep: prefer a magazine over a tablet screen. The less light flashing in front of you, the better.
- Wear something light made of some stretchy, pleasant material.
- And one last tip that could have helped Samantha: keep a cold-water bottle next to your bed, take a few sips and let your body feel the coolness from within, before drifting off to a restful, recharging sleep.